How to find yarn length or weight for a knitted garment based on the swatch
Determination of yarn consumption per garment is an important step in the work on the project.
In this article, we present tables, using which you can quickly find the yarn length or weight for a garment.
Below are 4 tables:
Table 1. Baseline data for determining yarn length and yarn weight knitted garments (in yards and ounces)
Table 2. Baseline data for determining yarn length and yarn weight knitted garments (in meters and grams)
Table 3. Baseline data for determining yarn length and yarn weight crocheted garments (in yards and ounces)
Table 4. Baseline data for determining yarn length and yarn weight crocheted garments (in meters and grams)
Next, we show how to use the tables:
- If you are going to knit the product with knitting needles and you need to determine the consumption of yarn for a garment in yards or ounces, select table 1; in meters and grams, select table 2, etc.
- Depending on the thickness of the yarn you plan to use, select a chosen table column with swatch data in the “Knitting Swatch Information” or “Crochet Swatch Information” section. For example, I am going to knit the product with knitting needles, made of DK yarn (220-260 yards per 0.35 oz.). So, I choose table 1 and my knitted swatch will have the following parameters:
- Stitches count to 4 inches (ca. 10 cm) — 22.5
- Rows count to 4 inches (ca. 10 cm) — 30
- Swatch yarn length, yards — 15.3
- Swatch weight, oz. — 0.23
Create a project, using our website and “Basic Patterns Customizer”. Substitute the swatch data. The yarn consumption calculation will be performed automatically. You can find the yarn length data and yarn weight data in this project final report.
For example, for a size M women pullover with a length of 24 inches (ca. 61 cm), a set-in long sleeve, a round neckline with a diameter of 24 inches (ca. 61 cm), you will need 1,177 yards (ca. 1076 m) or 17.69 ounces (501.5 g) of yarn. The video shows in detail how to create a project and add a swatch with the above data to it.
Please note that the data on swatches are averaged. According to the yarn consumption, it's determined in this way will also be an averaged parameter. You’ll be able to understand how much yarn you need. According to our estimates, the calculation error is up to 15%, for large clothing sizes up to 20%.
If you want to determine the yarn consumption with 100% accuracy, knit your swatch by yourself. Measure it and perform the calculation as described above.
Here (link) you can read how to knit a swatch. After all, besides the fact that the sample will help you find on the amount of yarn for a garment, a correctly made and a measured swatch is a guarantee that by knitting the product, you will receive the size that you originally planned. If you knit without relying on a swatch, the result is unpredictable: you can get the desired size of the clothes, or you can get a garment that will be several sizes larger or smaller than what you expect to receive.
Our wish for you is that you always knit with pleasure and produce garments with the sizes you need!